Department of Veterans' Affairs
The Department of Veterans’ Affairs is responsible for providing a range of programs of care, compensation, income support and commemoration for the veteran and defence force communities and their families. We provide support and information for:
- veterans and their dependants
- Australian Defence Force personnel
- war widows/widowers
- Australian participants in British Nuclear Tests in Australia
- members of the Australian Federal Police, and
- students, teachers and historians.
The services we provide include:
- pensions and compensation
- health care
- counselling services
- help for servicemen and women returning to civilian life
- commemorative and community grants
- home care assistance
- subsidised loans for housing and other housing-related benefits
- commemorative activities, and
- historical information.
Our commemorations program promotes understanding of Australia’s wartime history and the significance of national events such as Anzac Day, Remembrance Day and Vietnam Veterans’ Day.